Dental Hygiene Clinic!

Well, it was a pretty good day in clinic yesterday. I was able to get 4 PE's done. These are process evaluations where you have to preform a specific task while the professors watch, then they grade/critique you on it. I have only 3 evals left! Wahoo! I also was able to give anesthetic on both of my patients, which is always great practice. It is so nice since I passed the test, the instructors still watch you, but they just trust now that you can do it on your own. I like it. My patient in the morning was a man that is having open heart surgery on Friday. His cardiologists said he couldn't have the surgery unless he got his teeth cleaned and had no problems. I like that people are becoming more aware of the whole picture. Your mouth and the disease/lack of care in it can and will affect your body short and long term! So anyway, the guy was really nice and I got him all done...I just wish him luck with his surgery. Then my afternoon patient was this old retired lady. I had seen her before, and she is really sweet. She told me that I picked the wrong profession...and that I should be a model. Of course, I laughed inside, and told her thanks. I thought she was a little crazy. Anyway, she came back and was just as sweet this time. The professors and other students could hear her talking and afterward they made fun of me because this lady was seriously so nice to me. I had to get her numb and she needed the nitrous(laughing gas) so it was a good experience. I just had to keep my hands in her mouth so she wouldn't talk to me!! :)
I can't believe that school is coming to an end. I have three weeks left until it is all over forever! It is so exciting, but scary. I hope that I have learned all that I need to know to be a great hygienist! It is weird to think that I won't have a professor to suggest what to do anymore...I'll decide for myself what is best! Yay Freedom!

1 comment:

The Jensen Family said...

I agree with your patient, you are beautiful, inside and out! Thanks for the very sweet compliment. Every day you feel like you do something wrong as a parent, so it's nice to hear that other people think you are doing ok, and that you have good kids. You and Trent will make great parents. The biggest part is having a strong desire to be great at it. You two are off to a great start in your life together. We have enjoyed seeing you grow...